Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Why Tee-total?

drunkennes by Max Randor - aided by 'AF'an argument using critical thinking – does not make as much sense as I would like – should I write it up in normal English?

Basis for premises that need explaining: alcohol does not taste nice to me - I have tried small amounts of beer and wine and they did not taste nice, drunkenness is bad - Jesus said ‘Luke 21:34 "But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap.’ And also in the NT ‘Romans 13:13 Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarrelling and jealousy.’

Premises: alcohol does not taste nice to me, alcohol does not improve mental function rather it depresses it and encourages insensible behaviour, alcohol is a mild poison – is bad for your health especially in large doses, drunkenness is bad, other non alcoholic drinks taste nicer, it is easier not to start drinking than to stop before you get drunk, however – Jesus drank wine – not so that he became drunk but in small amounts with the food, drinking at restaurants etc is sociable, Noah invented wine.

Why drink something that is bad for you, does not taste nice, makes you insensible, depresses you, is harder to stop drinking once you started than to stop before it causes problems when there are other drinks that are better for you and taste nicer.

However this is just my decision not what the bible says or the general decision of Christians just my personal decision as I said Jesus drank wine.

Conclusion: I am Tee-total - do not drink alcohol

What do you think? Valid argument? Am I being stupid?

No comments: