Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The teaching of English

Recently while writing a letter I came to the realization that I had not actually been taught much English at school, despite having studied it to GCSE.
For instance we still had not been taught how to write proper english, or what a sentence is or a lot of grammar. We had mainly just practiced not studied english as an academic subject nor as a vocational one and thus my command of the english language is not as great as it should be, so I will have to get a book and teach myself which is annoying.
I should have written this nearer to the time, I had a great many more ideas and much stronger feelings about it then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really want to read, "Eats shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss. It's short, funny and you'll never feel like you're learning something. Which you will.

Coming from an English degree, one of the most important things you can do when learning how to write properly is learn the rules, yes, but also learn how to break them artistically.